Stupid answers on Quiz shows
Because i’m really tired of explaining the same things all the time, to those ignorant people who come here to express their own theory without knowing what they are talking about and without any sources. There are a lot of comments arguing about “Rime”, (5 + 1 Continents) and the nationality of Macedonians.
1) Rime. The spelling rhyme (from original rime) was introduced at the beginning of the Modern English period, due to a learned (but etymologically incorrect) association with Greek ῥυθμός (rhythmos, rhythm).
The older spelling rime survives in Modern English as a rare alternative spelling.
2) Continents. There are numerous ways of distinguishing the continents: 4 continents model. 5 continents model. 6 continents model. 7 continents model.
The terms Oceania or Australasia are sometimes substituted for Australia to denote a continent encompassing the Australian mainland and various islands of the Pacific Ocean not part of other continents. For example, the Atlas of Canada names Oceania, as does the model taught in Italy, Greece and in Latin America, Spain and Portugal.
3) Nationality of Macedonians: Some people post comments claiming that Macedonia was a separate country from Greece. This is totally out of line, because there was no Greek state back then. If we try to identify their nationality by modern sense of nationalism, then we would end up claiming that there were no ancient Greeks and no ancient Greece. Borders and passport do not make a nationality.
Ancient Greeks had a different way of identifying their nationality than some countries do today. Roots, language, culture were some of the criteria and not the administrative divisions.
Even today, the term “nationality” has different meanings around the world. Using a dictionary we will find following definitions for the word “nation”:
a. A relatively large group of people organized under a single, usually independent government; a country.
b. The territory occupied by such a group of people: All across the nation, people are voting their representatives out.
2. The government of a sovereign state.
3. A people who share common customs, origins, history, and frequently language
a. A federation or tribe, especially one composed of Native Americans.
b. The territory occupied by such a federation or tribe.
In some countries, ethnicity and nationality are two different words. But for the most countries, nationality and ethnicity are the same thing. For the ancient Greeks, nationality and ethnicity were the same thing. The nationality was not defined by administrative borders. Using modern day logic to define the nationality of ancient populations, would be anachronistic.
Some facts about the Greeks:
Dorians, Ionians, Aeolians, Achaeans were the 4 major tribes into which the Greeks considered the population of Hellenes to have been divided.
Macedonians were a Dorian tribe. Same as Spartans.
Macedonians spoke a Doric Greek dialect
Ancient Greece was an area with many city-states and Kingdoms. During the history of Ancient Greece a total of 1,500 to 2,000 city-states – Kingdoms were established. Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes, Epirus, Macedonia, Eretria, Chalkis were some of them.
The idea of a Pan-Hellenic (Greek) country, was expressed by the Athenian Isocrates, who also wrote a letter to King Philip.
Only Greeks had the right to participate on the Olympic games. Macedonians took part on them.
Alexander: but I am myself a Greek by descent, and I would not willingly see Greece exchange freedom for slaver. Herodot Book 9,45 (KALLIOPI)
But after all, did Alexander the Great consider himself a Greek?
Alexander the Great quote:
Above all, we are free men, and they are slaves. There are Greek troops, to be sure, in Persian service but how different is their cause from ours! They will be fighting for pay and not much of at that; We, on the contrary, shall fight for Greece, and our hearts will be in it. As for our foreign troops, Thracians, Paeonians, Illyrians, Agrianes, they are the best and stoutest soldiers in Europe, and they will find as their opponents the slackest and softest of the tribes of Asia.